Thursday, November 17, 2011

Grammar Tip # 3: Present Perfect Simple vs. Continuous


Present Perfect Tense         Present Perfect Continuous Tense
Grammar rules for the present prefect tense:Subject + Auxiliary verb (has/have) + Auxiliary verb (been) + Main verb (past participle)
The main verb uses the verb form past participle/V3.
Negative sentences - "not" is added between the Auxiliary Verb and the main verb
Questions - the auxiliary verb comes before the subject.

Grammar rules for the present prefect continuous tense:Subject + Auxiliary verb (has/have) + Auxiliary verb (been) + Main verb-ing
The auxiliary verb "to be" always stays in the V3/past participle form (been).
- ing to added to the base form the main verb.
Negative statements - add "not" between the auxiliary verb "have" and the the auxiliary verb "been".
Questions - the order is change the order the auxiliary verb "have" comes before the subject.
The result is more important than the activity itself e.g. I have walked the dog.The activity is more important than the result. e.g. I have been walking the dog.
To state the amount of times an action took place e.g. She has won this competition every year since 1999.To state the length of time or to state "how long" the action took place. e.g. I have been walking the dog all morning.
Used for actions that are naturally instant e.g. Oh no! I’ve broken a glass.Used for actions that naturally have a duration e.g. I have been walking the dog all morning.
Used for past actions that happened recently and are still in the news e.g. She has won a medal.Used for actions that continue into the present e.g. I have been walking the dog all morning.
Used to emphasize completion of an action e.g. I have walked the dog.Used to emphasize the action, not the completion e.g. I have been walking the dog.
Used to express that an action is completed or to emphasize the result. e.g. I have walked the dog.Used to emphasize the duration or continuous course of an action. e.g. I have been walking the dog all morning.

Exercises for further practice:
Englishpage exercises
Autoenglish exercises
Englishgrammarsecrets exercises

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. These exercices are really useful. I'm so frustrated I haven't enough time to do all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I understand Charo ! That's why they're here ! So you can come back to them any time you have a moment !

    Glad you find them useful.

    ReplyDelete